The competition is open to all artists. All works of art submitted must be the original artwork of the applicant and he or she must hold the copyright. Additionally, any photograph featuring an identifiable person must include a copy of the signed model release.
ArtInPlace will consider all themes and genres; however, the artist should consider submitting images that, if enlarged, could be visually comprehended by motorists driving approximately 45 mph. Further, artwork should pass the test of “community decency standards.” This wall, in each traffic direction, is an entrance to neighborhoods and to the Virginia countryside beyond and, in the other direction, to our Town of neighborhoods and of urban opportunity. We hope the artwork will soften the impact of a very unattractive wall.
Design and Fabrication:
While the winning artist will be consulted during design and fabrication of the large-scale panels, ArtInPlace reserves the right to have the works of art cropped, enlarged, or otherwise digitally modified by a graphic designer for the purpose of this project.
ArtInPlace and its jury will consider the following criteria when evaluating works of art for the Barracks Road Photomural Project:
- Artistic, technical, and conceptual merits;
- Compatibility of the art work to scale and characteristics of the site.
The winning artist will be awarded a $500 cash prize, and two images (from the six submitted) will be reproduced on large-scale (12’ x 24’) aluminum panels for an ongoing public art exhibition in Charlottesville, VA.
The two panels will be mounted to concrete walls, where the winning artist’s work will be seen by thousands of commuters. The panels will include the ArtInPlace website address. Our website will credit the artist and provide a link to the artist’s website if requested.
Tentative Project Schedule:
Submissions and entry fee Due: September 1, 2009
- Winning Artist Notified October 1, 2009
- Photomural Fabricated and Installed November, 2009
Exhibition of Photomural 2009-2012 (approximate)
ArtInPlace reserves the right to modify this schedule as needed.
Artists must present ALL of the following information in the format indicated below:
1) CONTACT COVER SHEET. Please provide the artist’s name, address, telephone, e-mail, and a brief bio. Please reference the project name (Barracks Road Photomural Competition) on all correspondence, including envelopes.
2) DIGITAL IMAGES. (PC compatible). Please closely observe the following guidelines for the submission of digital images:
a. Submit a maximum of six (6) digital images of artwork. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL ARTWORK.
Please save the images to a CD-ROM, attach thumbnail copies of the images saved to the CD, and label the CD with the artist’s name.
b. Submit .jpg image formats only
c. Only submit images with maximum dimensions of 800 w x 600 h pixels (72 dpi) and minimum dimensions of 720 x 480 pixels
Please note: ArtInPlace requests images that are limited to 72 dpi for the jury phase only. However, for the production of the large-scale panels, the winning artist will need to either: 1) submit the artwork to ArtInPlace for a high-resolution scan; or 2) submit the saved work at 360" x 60" @ 100 ppi, RGB (~ 600MB). If the winning artist’s artwork is computer generated, then it should be vector based, or set up at a minimum resolution of 72ppi at final output size.
3) IMAGE LIST AND ARTIST STATEMENT. Number each image to correspond to the image list and provide information relating to the work of art, including the title/subject, date, media, and dimensions. Also please provide a brief statement regarding the body of work submitted and its conceptual foundations.
4) ENTRY FEE. Send $25 by check or money order payable to ArtInPlace Foundation.
Mail Submissions and the $25 Entry Fee to:
P.O. Box 7885
Charlottesville, VA 22906
Attn: Elizabeth Breeden
All Submission Materials are due by 5 p.m. (EST) on September 1, 2009.
Questions? Please contact Elizabeth Breeden. firstname.lastname@example.org